Thursday, April 18, 2013

When 2nd doesn't cut it

During Reading Week I covered the 2013 Female World Sport School Challenge.  I blogged about it and basically was taken back by the level of skill, speed, and size of girls hockey at the high school level. 

Well, I would be stupid if I didn't mention the silver medal won by the Canadian Women's National team last week.  I know that it's not what they were looking for.  It's gold or bust for that team but give credit where it's due, the Americans played fantastic and earned the top prize. 

I actually know two players on the Canadian squad.  I played high school hockey with #3 Jocelyne Larocque.  When we played back in 2004, she was our best defenseman - as a grade 10 girl.  It's no surprise she's reached the highest level.  I also know #17 Bailey Bram.  I went to high school with her and I'm pretty sure she schooled me on the outdoor once or twice. 

Both girls are from Ste. Anne, Manitoba, where I currently play senior hockey.  There must be something in the water because Ste. Anne continues to produces unbelievable female hockey players.  On top of Larocque and Bram, Ste. Anne is home to other female greats like Mel Gagnon (played 6 years for Team Canada U-22 and played in the NCAA Frozen Four in 2009 alongside Larocque and Bram) and up-and-comer Shelby Bram, Bailey's younger sister, who might just crack the National Team lineup in a few years.

It was a privilege to play with Jocelyne for that one season, and against her in many years of minor hockey in some classic Ste. Anne VS. Lorette battles.  I know that she will crack the 2014 Sochi line-up, as will Bailey, and hopefully they can reclaim what's rightfully theirs - a gold medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment