Friday, January 25, 2013

Bruno Mars: Unorthodox Jukebox

So my friend Derek downloaded the new Bruno Mars album a few weeks ago and since then, I've probably listened to it at least 10 times in its entirety.  I'm as shocked as you are. I don't really like pop music and I never really liked anything from Bruno before but this album is a gem.

The album begins with Young Wild Girls - a tribute to all those girls who lure you in with those bright, innocent looking eyes and send you packing quicker than you can say 'Can I buy you dinner?'  It's catchy and there's something about his voice that leaves you wanting more.  In fact, that's how I would describe the entire album: catchy.  

No more so than the #2 track, the hit single, Locked Out of Heaven.  It sounds like a riff from the Police but I'm cool with that.  Tons of bands have adapted Roxanne into their own pop-rock songs.  

Next is Gorilla and it's a modern day Barry White tune in that if it doesn't make you want to get down and get funky... I don't know what will.  Speaking of funky, Treasure is next and it's an extremely intoxicating tune with a fun baseline and cool lyrics about cherishing that special girl.  If you haven't noticed, pretty much every song is either about having sex, or loving/hating a certain someone.  They say love songs are the most easy to relate to.

There are a few other hidden gems on this album, especially on the Deluxe version which has one bonus track and four different versions of other songs on the album.  The bonus track, Old and Crazy feat. Esperanza Spalding is right out of 1950 and it's refreshing to hear something different.  It features a neat, little piano number and Spalding complements Bruno nicely.  

Album favourites:  Gorilla, Treasure, Moonshine.  8.5/10

1 comment: